Liverpool turned down chance to sign 18-year-old Brazilian winger

Merseyside club showed interest in Real Madrid winger Rodrygo Goes. That’s the claim made by former Man City star Elano, who suggests Liverpool made an offer for the youngster, which was deemed too low.

After an agreement of €45m was reached between Los Blancos and Santos in the summer of 2018, Rodrygo signed for Real Madrid ahead of the 2019/20 campaign.

Brazil international has scored five first-team goals so far and one for the club’s B team. Three of those came in Real Madrid’s 6-0 thrashing of Galatasaray in the Champions League on Wednesday, which has thrust him into the spotlight.

Los Blancos seemingly have a gem on their hands, but Elano reckons they had some competition to get him. He said: ‘There was very strong interest from the Reds for the boy when he was in the lower categories at Santos, and they wanted to add him, but the offer was too low.

“Then came the offer from the Spanish club. I had a talk with the club and told them it was worth betting on the boy and that I would like to work with him.” Elano has a big association with Brazilian club having had three stints there as a footballer, and he was their interim manager at the time of Reds supposed interest in Rodrygo.

Goes has the potential to become an extraordinary footballer at the Bernabeu. He could well become a big regret for the Merseyside club in the future, although Liverpool do boast a plethora of talented young players in their academy at the moment.